Stuff to pimp your Windows Home Server

Hacking Windows Home Server is a blog dedicated to Microsoft's WHS technology. Brought to you by Donavon West, Microsoft MVP and author of LiveGadgets.net and donavon.com I'll also discuss the Hewlett-Packard HP MediaSmart Server EX470, EX475, EX485, EX487, the T7-HSA Tranquil Harmony Home Server and any other new Home Server hardware platforms that arise. You can also call this hacking or hackz. In any case I will show you some cool things to make your Microsoft Windows Home Server even sweeter.

A blog devoted to getting the most out of your
Windows Home Server by Microsoft MVP Donavon West.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Mount your SkyDrive as a Virtual Folder with Gladinet

image

The Gladinet client software allows you to mount cloud storage from Windows Live SkyDrive, Amazon S3 and others as a virtual folder from within Windows Vista and XP. How sweet is that. This is not only sweet, but tooth rottenly sweet!

Amazon sells it's S3 cloud storage, but being the charitably Internet citizen that it is, Microsoft recently started giving away 25GB of cloud storage for free. Gladnet also supports virtual directories based on Google Picassa and Google Docs.

Please note that Gladinet runs on your Widows client and not on Windows Home Server, but is still worth mentioning here. How can Home Server users benefit from Gladinet? I'm using it as alternate offline storage for photos. Basically it's a backup of the Photos share on my WHS. Although I haven't done so yet, I would like to play around with automating this task with SyncToy similar to the way I did so with the Flip Mino HD article.

You can read more about and download the free Gladinet client here. The latest Wave 3 release of SkyDrive broke the Gladinet client, but a new version is expected out shortly. In the mean time, you can still try it out with the other providers.

The Future

What Microsoft (or a resourceful third party) really needs to do is create a Windows Home Server Add-in that would provide backup to SkyDrive (similar to Jungle Disk Windows Home Server Edition). It would be limited to 25GB, but that should be adequate to handle most people's photos.

Fin. Why not comment on what you've just read or even Digg It!

Microsoft Social Bookmark on Microsoft Social

7 comments:

Diehard said...

Finding your email address is too dificult.

My brother loves his PSP and resently bought a HP MediaSmart Server. Since it does not have a VGA cable He was able do add his hacked PSP as a monitor using the USB cable. Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EIebQYJsTs

DrBlog said...

Hi..

Did you actually mnaage to get this working on WHS?

Ive got it all installed, and running ok after fixing the port 80 issue.. but when I try to login I get errors:

SkyDrive]Auto login doesn't complete successfully for virtual directory:Windows Live SkyDrive 1
[SkyDrive]Auto login doesn't complete successfully for virtual directory:Windows Live SkyDrive 1
[Skydrive]Auto login failed:Windows Live SkyDrive, unable to get summary page
[Skydrive]Auto login failed:Windows Live SkyDrive 1, unable to get summary page

I also found I had to add the loopback addresses to secure sites, otherwise they failed to display at all... Im not sure if its a security issue...

Can you let me know if there was anything els you had to do to get this working on WHS in explorer?

RebelGTP said...

DrBlog, I think that Skydrive support is still broken... this was said above: "The latest Wave 3 release of SkyDrive broke the Gladinet client, but a new version is expected out shortly. In the mean time, you can still try it out with the other providers."

drtoxo said...

SkyDrive is working fine with XP, just having prbs on WHS...

SummeR6 said...

I tried Gladinet also but I didn't like that when the client is not running the disk is not available. I like Dropbox better for that, it uses a local folder structue that is also available when the dropbox client is not running. Dropbox only has 2GB in the free account, so I would also like to use Skydrive instead, but until an easier client comes available i'll stick with the ease of dropbox (which also seems to work faster than Gladinet when browsing folders)

Unknown said...

So I'm a bit confused here...if this isn't working on WHS, how are you using it to back up your Photos? Are you just copying your share through your XP/Vista box up to Skydrive?

Also, did you manage to get this working with SyncToy? I tried copying files through Explorer but after a few hundred megs, its just hangs and then tells me I have a network error. After that I have to unmount and remount the folder.

Unknown said...

I have the Gladinet client installed on my WHS2011 and it shows up as a drive but the server backup utility insists there are no valid backup drives attached to the computer. Any ideas how to convince it to use Skydrive?

Post a Comment